Face Mask


With the prospect of our lock down being relaxed in the near future, I thought I would research mask making! There are so many types that it wasn’t easy to choose the most suitable, but eventually I went for the popular 3 fold type with a wire insert and pocket for additional filter. This one seemed to make the closest fit to the face.
My research suggested that closely woven fabric was ideal so I went for cotton, using an old shirt belonging to my other half  ( he’s unlikely to read this post, so will never know!).
If you’re running short on ‘making’ supplies don’t forget that most small local craft shops are providing a postal and delivery service and really need your support at the moment so why not give them a ring. Our local one can be found at www.crispincrafts.co.uk and can be reached on their mobile number at the moment on 07867673105.
So first you need a rectangle 12 inches by 9 inches. I found it easier to fold the material in half and use a 6 inches by 9 inches cardboard template.  Then with right sides together, sew about 3 inches along from each end on the long side, leaving a gap in the middle to insert the filter.
Next, move the seam to the centre and iron in position. Now the filter pocket is in the centre of the mask.
Then cut 2 pieces of elastic 6 inches long and tuck inside the ends, pinning each end into the corners.
Sew down each side reversing over the ends of the elastic to ensure they are securely fastened in place. Then turn inside out and iron again.
At this point we need to insert the nose wire. I used some wire from the garden shed, but a pipe cleaner would work just as well. I used a double length folded to 6 inches and I taped over the sharp ends so they wouldn’t pierce the fabric.
Insert the wire inside the mask, pushing it right up to the top and sew around it, so it is encased in its own little pocket. (Not my straightest stitching!).
Now for the pleats - measure 1.5 inches up from the bottom and mark it, repeat twice more up the mask.
Using the marks, fold the mask to make a small pleat and pin securely.
Make 2 more creases and iron flat before sewing in place down each side.

...and there you are - mask completed! All you need to do now is pop your chosen filter into the pocket. I used a dried wet wipe!! I am unsure if this is a good choice, but I have plenty...!
Good luck and if you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask in the comment box.














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upcycled Violin Lamp

Mincemeat Oat Slices

DIY Inkle Loom